Basic Whole Wheat Bread

One of the many things the Pandemic brought for me was to be more self reliant and I anyway love baking so I took this opportunity and have been baking bread every week for my family. It goes well with just butter, toasted with peanut butter, sandwiches and it doesn't crumble or fall off. 

I use my hands for making breads, I love everything art, the touch, scent, feel, look and the process of something being created by me, my strength and hands. Plus, it also gives me a great shoulder and arms workout as I use both hands to knead the dough! 




Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup strong bread flour https://amzn.to/31QcDUf
1 1/2 teaspoon (6 g) instant dry yeast https://amzn.to/2PPVXXp
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
1/2 cup (120 ml) whole milk
1 cup (240 ml) water (room or warm temperature)

Mix all ingredients together with a wooden spatula till incorporated, turn it over on a floured counter.



Knead till smooth, this should take 10 mins (I always put my timer and knead for 10 minutes for a good workout for both me and the dough)



Leave it to proof/ hatch under a damp towel or cling film and dry towel for 45 minutes to and hour.



Deflate, punch and roll it to form a loaf, suturing and shutting all the open ends and edges.

Let it rise in the greased pan (a 9 inch pan is ideal) for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 180 C for at least 20 minutes.

Bake for 50 minutes and cover the loaf with aluminium foil halfway.

Tap to check for hollow sound.

Take the bread off the pan after 5 minutes of pan being out of the oven, slightly running a knife on the edges.

Cool completely before slicing for clean slices.

**Pro Tip: If you do not have Strong bread flour or unavailable, use All Purpose flour and add essential wheat gluten to it. 4 grams to every 100 grams of APF.


Basic Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

  • 1 cup strong bread flour

  • 1 1/2 teaspoon (6 g) instant dry yeast

  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • 1 tablespoon sugar

  • 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil

  • 1/2 cup (120 ml) whole milk

  • 1 cup (240 ml) water (room or warm temperature) 

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients.

Knead by hand or in the mixer for at least 10 minutes.

Let hatch with a damp cloth for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Flatten the dough, roll it, suture the edges and place the dough in a bread pan.

Let it grow a second time for 30 minutes.

Let oven preheat for at least 20 minutes.

Bake for 50 minutes at 180 ° C (350 ° F) (cover the top with aluminium foil half way).

Comments